Are you an engineer who thrives on working with customers to help them understand, apply, and benefit from new technologies? Do you want to engage deeply with customers to understand their use of Hadoop and then develop, customize, and deliver compelling demos and proof-of-concept projects? Do you love working with existing customers to help them get the most out of software and to identify new opportunities within their company? Are you a great collaborator who can bring customer successes and needs back to the engineering team to make future releases even more powerful and easy to use?
Then Pepperdata is the place for you! Our software provides unprecedented visibility, predictability, and ROI for enterprise Hadoop clusters. We have great success stories in large customer deployments and an impressive pipeline of Fortune 50 companies. Many of our customers have been using Hadoop in production for years and are at the forefront of using new technologies in the Hadoop ecosystem.
In this position you will be the technical representative for Pepperdata’s products and services. We’re looking for customer-facing, hands-on technologists with a track record of success.
- Develop and present technical customer demos, identifying specific customer needs and product features to emphasize.
- Drive proof-of-concept engagements, both at the level of understanding the business context and in detailed technical implementation.
- Support the needs of existing customers to ensure their success.
- Work closely with the engineering and marketing teams, acting as a key voice of the customer.
- Work with customers, partners, and prospects to understand and propose solutions using Pepperdata software.
- Own the technical sales process from introductory meetings (net new sales) through post-sales (customer satisfaction, upselling, and subscription renewals).
- Drive progress towards successful sales, in concert with Account Executives.
- Focus on customer satisfaction and success.
- Continuously learn and update skills in quickly evolving technologies.
- Unix/Linux expertise a must.
- Solid system level troubleshooting skills.
- 2+ years of pre-sales or support experience in Hadoop.
- 5+ years of pre-sales, support, or software development experience in distributed computing, database, or related technologies.
- Experience with Hadoop cluster setup, maintenance, and optimization, including such components as HBase, Pig, Hive, Zookeeper, and Oozie, Cloudera Manager, and Ambari.
- Experience creating and delivering presentations and demos to audiences ranging from cluster ops teams to senior executives.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and oral.
- Demonstrated ability to solve complex technical problems in a systematic way; strong numerical intuition.
- Ability to switch context quickly throughout the day with numerous competing demands
- 3+ years experience and success working in a customer-facing role.
- Comfortable working with customers and public speaking.
- Demonstrated experience gathering and understanding customer business requirements.
- Hands-on, technical, problem solver.
- Knowledge of distributed systems.
- Experience with many of the following:
- SQL development and optimization
- Concurrency and synchronization
- Fallacies of distributed computing
- Common IPC/RPC methods and patterns
- High availability and business continuity
- Queuing patterns and pipeline design
- Batch operations
- Messaging systems and patterns
- Solid OS / networking fundamentals
- Virtual memory management
- System administration knowledge
- Network architecture
- Fantastic colleagues: Our engineering team has a median of over 15 years of experience building at web scale and with enterprise quality, and our sales team has decades of experience selling enterprise data software.
- Transparency and open, respectful discussion: We don’t hide or dilute information. We’re deeply invested in having the entire team understand the ins and outs of our business and the rapidly evolving market. We know that a room full of very smart people has no place for even one large ego.
- Customer focus: As we grow, we remain humbled by the fact that some of the world’s leading companies run their businesses on our software.
- Sunnyvale HQ: Our bright, open office is conveniently located next to the Caltrain station and steps away from all the restaurants and shops of Murphy Avenue.
- Competitive salary
- Meaningful stake in the company
- 401(k) plan
- Medical, dental, and vision plans
- “Do what’s right” time-off policy (and we really do take vacations!)
Headquartered in Sunnyvale, California, Pepperdata enables enterprises to rely on Hadoop in production. Pepperdata’s real-time cluster optimizer dynamically adjusts cluster utilization based on customer priorities so that jobs run faster, more reliably, and more efficiently. Pepperdata installs on existing clusters and works with any Hadoop distribution, including Cloudera, Hortonworks, IBM, MapR, and Apache.